Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Walking on the Great Wall


I never thought that I would have the opportunity to walk along this quintessence of ancient history. To think about the many chapters of history written on that wall (and the many, many chapters we will never know) and to be standing in that very place. Wow! It was a wonderful time… a wonderfully wet experience. It was a day that would make any Oregonian proud. The downpour drenched at least part of the most stalwart explorer. The group of teachers that I visited the wall with took on the day as an adventure and tromped up and down the steps of the wall undeterred by the rain (well some of us did). I rode up the gondola to a point on the wall and hiked up the hill side to the furthest most allowed western point (for that section of the wall). We followed the ridge of the mountain as we traversed along the wall. As I walked along the wall, I imagined the many Chinese soldiers who walked along the wall as I had. Such a neat experience!!