Today I ate McDonald's food in China. It is not, however, my first sighting or experience with that international food chain. I was amused by several of the differences.
My first day in Beijing I stumbled upon my first McDonalds. Far from being hidden from human view, it was five stories tall. I was amazed to see such a huge restaurant. I've never lived in a state big enough to boast of a five story McDonalds...
When walking down the street about a week later, I noticed a man with a bright red helmet coming from through the front doors of a different McDonalds. I found that he was outfitted with a full McDonald's get-up. He looked somewhat like a space ranger ready to fly through the air with his trusty jet pack strapped to his back. As I studied him better, I found that his jet pack was actually a hot/cold pouch strapped to his back that allowed him to carry food for delivery on his motorbike. I heard that KFC also delivers. I'm waiting to see a delivery person...
The McDonalds that I ate in today was tucked away in a strip mall on a busy street. I ate something quite non-adventuresome but yummy... a Texas Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich. It was good. Dark grilled meat, real lettuce, spicy orange sauce on a long bun. They do offer Taro pies and peach pies (which are also both good). We were told that they use to/or sometimes carry a green pea pie. I'm not sure if it would be good.
That is my whole story for now, but McDonalds is almost everywhere in China. I'll let you know if I have any more adventures!